Mark 8:22-31 22 And they came to Bethsaida. And some people brought to him a blind man and begged him to touch him. 23 And he took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village, and when he had spit on his eyes and laid his hands on him, he asked him, “Do you see anything?” 24 And he looked up and said, “I see people, but they look like trees, walking.”25 Then Jesus laid his hands on his eyes again; and he opened his eyes, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly. 26 And he sent him to his home, saying, “Do not even enter the village.”
27 And Jesus went on with his disciples to the villages of Caesarea Philippi. And on the way he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that I am?” 28 And they told him, “John the Baptist; and others say, Elijah; and others, one of the prophets.” 29 And he asked them, “But who do you say that I am?” Peter answered him, “You are the Christ.” 30 And he strictly charged them to tell no one about him.
31 And he began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and the chief priests and the scribes and be killed, and after three days rise again.
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
1. Study through Mark 8:22-31 together. What stands out to you and why?
2. Read Psalm 2. “Christ” means anointed one. What characteristics of the “anointed one” do you see in Psalm 2?
3. Mark 8:31 is where the entire book shifts in a new direction. Summarize in a sentence Mark’s portrayal of Jesus up to this point. How does what Jesus says in Mark 8:31 differ from the way Jesus has been previously presented?
4. In verse 31 the word must controls the sentence. What does this tell us about Jesus’ purpose for coming to earth?
It wasn’t only necessary that the Christ should suffer because the Scriptures promised it; it is also necessary because our sins demanded it. All real forgiveness and reconciliation requires sacrifice, and Jesus made sure all that weight fell on Him.
- Sermon audio mp3 (listen)
- Sermon audio mp3 (download)
- Subscribe or stream sermons from iTunes
- SERMON NOTES who do you say that I am?
- CG DISCUSSION who do you say that I am?