Jesus commands Christians to go and make disciples of all nations, but how are we going to fulfill such a daunting task? Like the early church, empowered by the Holy Spirit we seek to fulfill Jesus’ command by planting churches both locally and worldwide. We plant churches so more people will meet Jesus, be loved in Jesus, and mature in Jesus. We plant churches by training up and sending out pastors and by every Christian being goers and senders. It is worth it to work hard in planting churches because everything we give up in this life pails in comparison to being on Jesus’ mission, for Jesus’ glory, and the joy of all people.
Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
These Scripture references will be discussed in question #2 of discussion.
Mark 16:15-16 And [Jesus] said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.”
John 15:12-13 “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.”
Colossians 1:28 Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ.
Matthew 28:19-20 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them…[and] teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.
Titus 1:5 Appoint elders in every town as I directed you.
2 Timothy 2:2 What you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.
1. Was there anything from Sunday’s Sermon or the Big Idea that had an affect on you? What questions do you have about the sermon or the Scripture?
2. What stands out to you in these Scriptures and why? *See Scripture tab above
3. Why is it important to plant Churches as opposed to simply planning crusades where the gospel is preached?
4. Are you a goer (physically going) or a sender (financially sending) when it comes to Church planting? *It’s definitely possible to be both going and sending in the larger scale, like those that are going to plant a Church in Checotah and still giving generously so that Jesus’ church can spread even further than the Checotah area.
5. Spend some time praying for your city, for the future churches that we will plant by God’s grace, and for each other.
It is worth it to make disciples by planting churches because everything that we give up in this life pails in comparison to the blessings Jesus gives and the joy it is to be on mission with Him.
Mark 10:29-30 Jesus said, “Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands, for my sake and for the gospel, who will not receive a hundredfold now in this time, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and in the age to come eternal life.
It is also worth it to make disciples by planting churches because one day we will be with Jesus and people from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, will be there praising Jesus for who He is and what He’s done. There are people that will be there that God used us to reach for His glory.
Revelation 7:9-10 After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!”
- Sermon Mp3 (Listen)
- Sermon Mp3 (Download)
- Subscribe or stream sermons from iTunes
- Pastor Brett’s sermon notes for Plant Churches
- Community Group Discussion 11.26-27.13 PDF
More Content from WHAT ARE WE DOING?