In Matthew 28, Jesus says for us to go and make disciples of all nations. What is a disciple? A disciple is someone who has received a new identity from Jesus that leads to new activity for Jesus. Disciples love Jesus and hate sin, obey Jesus and repent of sin, and disciples are on mission to make disciples. Everything in the disciples’ life stems from the fact that before they loved or obeyed Jesus, Jesus loved them and gave Himself up for them on the cross for their sin. Everything begins and ends with Jesus’ love and grace shown to sinners. Have you received the love of Jesus through faith? Are you a disciple?
“And Jesus came and said to them, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.'”
1. Was there anything from Sunday’s Sermon or the Big Idea that had an affect on you? Did you hear anything that raised more questions in your mind?
1 John 4:10, 19
In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins… We love because He first loved us.
For I do not understand my own (sinful) actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.
1 Peter 2:24
He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree.
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
Jesus came into Galilee, proclaiming the gospel of God, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.” **Jesus says “repent” 8 times in His letters to the seven churches in Revelation 2-3.
1 Corinthians 15:3-4, 22
For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures… For as in Adam all die, in Christ shall all be made alive.
2. What stands out to you from any of these Scripture passages and why?
3. When it comes to obeying Jesus, why is it necessary to be in the Word constantly?
4. What are the benefits of sitting under the preaching of the Word? What are the pitfalls of not sitting under the preached Word? What about studying the Word in a Community Group- Benefits? Pitfalls of not? What about studying the Word on your own- Benefits? Pitfalls?
5. Spend some time praying for one another.
All of the activity of a disciple stems from one thing: the love of Jesus. It starts with Jesus’ love for us (His life, death, burial, resurrection) and then our love for Jesus. Because we love Jesus, we hate sin, and because we love Jesus and hate sin, we obey Jesus and repent of sin. And because we have experienced the love and salvation of Jesus, we want others to as well- so our mission is to make disciples. Joy to us, glory to Jesus!
A WORD FROM PASTOR JAMES
Just a reminder that Pastor Brett, McClain, and Lyla will be leaving on November 24th to go and train pastors in Uganda, Africa. It so amazing to be apart of a church that is active in both local missions, like our community groups, and global missions, sending out one of our pastors to train other pastors. So please pray with me that our God would give Brett and his family a safe and fruitful journey to Uganda and back.
- Sermon Mp3 (Listen)
- Sermon Mp3 (Download)
- Subscribe or stream sermons from iTunes
- Pastor Brett Sermon Notes MAKE DISCIPLES – ACTIVITY PDF
- Community Group Discussion 11.12-13 PDF