GENESIS 3:1-6 Now the serpent was more crafty than any other beast of the field that the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God actually say, ‘You shall not eat of any tree in the garden’?” And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden, but God said, ‘You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.’” But the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate.
2 TIMOTHY 4:1-5 “I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: 2 preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. 3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, 4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. 5 As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist,fulfill your ministry.
The first thing that God does in the the Bible is preach. He preaches the world and everything in it into existence. God also says that he created man in his image, after his likeness. God is saying that he created mankind to know him, love him, and be joyful in his presence as he knows them, loves them, and gives them the joy of having a right relationship with him. Sometime after God preached the world into existence, Satan came preaching a different sermon. We see that 1) Satan preaches self-help. 2) Satan preaches the Bible, wrongly, and sends out false prophets and false teachers to inaccurately teach the Bible and lead people away from the truth. 3) Satan preaches man, and promises man idols, but idols never give what they promise. 4) Satan received a strong response (being crushed by Jesus) and so do those who believe his false sermon (being guilty before Holy God and in need of a Savior). Because Satan preaches a false sermon, God the Father sends out Prophets, Jesus, Apostles, and Pastors to preach the truth. We see that faithful preachers preach the same message. 1) Faithful preachers preach repentance, not self-help. 2) Faithful preachers preach the whole Word of God, they don’t pick and choose in order to promote their own agenda. 3) Faithful preachers preach Jesus- who he is, what he’s done, what he’s doing, and what he will do. Faithful preachers do not preach the exaltation of man- what man’s done, what man’s doing, and what man can do. 4) Faithful preachers receive a strong response. The prophets were killed, Jesus was killed, and all but John of the Apostles were killed. Likewise, today, faithful preachers are either loved or hated. Those who remain in the middle or indifferent are possibly well-liked by all because they are not proclaiming the whole Word of God.
- Pray for each other. Spend the majority of your time praying for each other individually. Whatever is needed. Whatever sin you’re battling. Whatever Idols you need to repent from to Jesus. Whatever encouragement you need. Let’s open up and share what’s going on inside our hearts and allow our brothers and sisters to bear your burdens.
- Pray for your Pastors. Pray that they would be faithful to always preach the truth from the whole Word of God.
- Pray for your City. Pray that the Word of God (the gospel) would increase and people would come to know Jesus. Pray for boldness and courage to engage with people in a loving way to talk to them about Jesus and gospel. Pray for boldness and courage to speak the truth to them, that they are separated from God because of sin, but Jesus is victorious and has worked in his life, death, and resurrection to bring us back to God, free us from the punishment and power of sin, and give us eternal life in him.
- Pray for people who are not yet “In Christ.” Pray specifically for friends, family, or acquaintances that are outside of a saving relationship with Jesus. Pray for boldness and love to be able to share the gospel with them and exhort them to be saved by trusting in Jesus and his finished work. Pray that the Holy Spirit would use what you say to them to make them alive in Christ by grace.
- Pray for Love Muskogee. Pray that God would continue to strengthen us to love our city like Jesus loves us. Pray that God would open our eyes to the needs in our city that he is equipping us to meet for his glory. Pray that the love of Jesus would be on display as we love and serve like we have been loved and served.
Q.1 Was there anything from Sunday’s sermon or the big idea that was new to you or had an affect on you? Did you hear anything that raised more questions in your mind?
Q.2 What stands out to you in Genesis 3:1-6 and why?
Q.3 What stands out to you in 2 Timothy 4:1-5 and why?
- Sermon Mp3 (Listen)
- Sermon Mp3 (Download)
- Subscribe or Stream Sermons from iTunes
- CG Discussion 2.19.13 PDF
“Jesus Gave Preaching To His Church” was preached on February 17th, 2013 by Pastor Brett Baggett at the worship gathering of Ekklesia Muskogee.