Matthew 1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit.
If we are going to understand our salvation, how we are saved and what it means to be saved, then we have to understand how Jesus came into this world and how He is fully man. We know that Jesus is fully man because he was born of woman. The virgin Mary was overshadowed by the Holy Spirit and she gave birth to a son, Jesus. This is clearly seen in each one of the synoptic (same) gospels. The virgin birth is important because it shows that salvation must always come from the Lord not from human effort. The virgin birth also makes possible Christ’s true humanity without inherited sin. Because of Adam, all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.
In conclusion, Jesus’ full humanity was necessary for 5 reasons:
- To be our Representative for righteousness (Romans 5:19)
- To be a Substitute Sacrifice (Hebrews 2:16-17)
- To be the one Mediator between God and men (1 Timothy 2:5)
- To be our example and pattern in life (Hebrews 12:12)
- To sympathize as our High Priest (Hebrews 2:18)
1. Was there anything from the sermon, big idea, or Matthew 1:18 that stood out to you, challenged you, or confused you?
2. Why is it important to understand that Jesus, being fully God, also came to this earth as fully man? What would change if he didn’t actually become a man but rather just appeared like a man?
3. What does Jesus becoming a man tell us about the extent of God’s love and grace for us? Discuss your answers.
4. Are there specific ways in which you now think of Jesus as being more like you than you did before? What are these?
5. How can a clearer understanding of Jesus’ humanity help you face temptations?
- Sermon Mp3 (Listen)
- Sermon Mp3 (Download)
- Subscribe or stream sermons from iTunes
- Community Group Discussion 12.23-24.14 PDF