John 5:39-40 39 You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.
Luke 24:25-27 25 And he said to them, “O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory?” 27 And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.
Jesus taught that the entire Bible is about Him. We see six ways in which all of the Old Testament is connected to Jesus: types, Christophanies, titles, prophecies, events, and persons. The Bible is not about great men and women of God; the Bible is about the great God of men and women- Jesus. The Bible is not mainly about you and what you should be doing; the Bible is mainly about Jesus, what He has done and what He is continuing to do.
1. Was there anything from Sunday’s Sermon or the Big Idea that was new to you or had an affect on you? Did you hear anything that raised more questions in your mind?
2. What stands out to you in John 5:39-40 and why? What stands out to you in Luke 24:25-27 and why?
3. How do people in our culture view the Bible; what do you think most people think the Bible is all about? How does Jesus’ teachings in John 5 and Luke 24 challenge these modern ideas?
4. When you read the Bible, do you read it as if it were mostly about you and what you should be doing or about Jesus- what He’s done and is doing?
5. Do you regularly study the Bible? Why or why not?
COLOSSIANS 1:15-20 15 [Jesus] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning,the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. 19 For in him all thefullness of God was pleased to dwell, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.
- Sermon Mp3 (Listen)
- Sermon Mp3 (Download)
- Subscribe or stream sermons from iTunes
- Community Group Discussion 7.30-31.13 PDF