JESUS RESURRECTION PROVES HE IS WHO HE SAID IS AND DID WHAT HE SAID HE DID
The biblical, circumstantial, and historical evidence of Jesus’ resurrection is overwhelming. In fact, given the evidence, it is a bigger leap of faith to deny the resurrection of Jesus than to believe in it. So, what if the resurrection happened? What does the resurrection prove? It proves just this: 1) Jesus is who he claimed to be, namely God- “I am the way and the truth and the life, and no one comes to the Father but by me” (John 14:6), “I and the Father are one” (John 10:30), “Whoever has seen me has seen the Father” (John 14:9), 2) Jesus accomplished what he said he died to accomplish, namely the salvation of many sinners by his sacrifice in their place- “For the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many” (Mark 10:45).
Tim Keller rightly said, “If Jesus rose from the dead, then you have to accept all that he said; if he didn’t rise from the dead, then why worry about any of what he said? The issue on which everything hangs is not whether or not you like his teaching but whether or not he rose from the dead.”
10 RESULTS OF JESUS’ RESURRECTION
1. A savior who can never die again. “For we know that Christ being raised from the dead will never die again.” Romans 6:9
2. Repentance. “The God of our fathers raised Jesus, whom you killed by hanging him on a tree. God exalted him at his right hand as Leader and Savior, to give repentance to Israel.” Acts 5:31
3. New birth. “By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.” 1 Peter 1:3
4. Forgiveness of sin. “If Christ has not been raised, your hope is futile and you are still in your sins.” 1 Corinthians 15:17
5. The Holy Spirit. “This Jesus God raised up, and of that we are all witnesses. Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this which you see and hear.” Acts 2:32–33
6. No condemnation for the elect. “Who is to condemn? It is Christ Jesus who died, yes, who was raised from the dead, who is at the right hand of God.” Romans 8:34
7. The Lord’s personal fellowship and protection. “Behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:20
8. Proof of coming judgment. “God has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed, and of this he has given assurance to all men by raising him from the dead.” Acts 17:31
10. Our own resurrection from the dead. “We know that he who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and bring us with you into his presence.” 2 Corinthians 4:14; Romans 6:4; 8:11; 1 Corinthians 6:14; 15:20
JESUS IS ALIVE!
Jesus’ resurrection from death to eternal life promises that he will resurrect in the same way those who trust him.
As Larry Dick said, “Peter was made to walk on water in his old body. Imagine what Jesus will enable you to do in your new one?” We will be given new, glorified bodies. Physical disabilities? gone. The lame will run and not grow weary. The deaf will hear Jesus’ sing over them. The blind will see the glory of the Lord shining in full force. The mute will sing praises to their Savior for what he has done. We will never get sick. Cancer? gone. AIDS? gone. The common cold? gone. We will never be depressed, wallow in guilt or shame, feel fear, shrink back like a coward, or mistreat anyone. We will never again sin- not even be tempted. We will live as we are created to live- with Jesus as King. We will see things more glorious than we have ever seen, taste things sweeter than we have ever tasted, smell things more intriguing than we have ever smelled, feel things more satisfying than we have ever felt, and hear things more beautiful than we have ever heard. We will see and savor Jesus fully and be eternally, joyfully satisfied in him.
“There we will see His face and never, never sin; there from the rivers of His grace drink endless pleasures in.” – Isaac Watts
Jesus is alive and his resurrection changes everything. Don’t delay. Give your sin to Jesus and receive his righteousness through faith in who he is and what he’s done; Jesus is God who lived a sinless life, died as a substitute for sin, and victorious resurrected from death to eternal life. It’s all about Jesus. Look to Jesus and you will be saved!
Always seeking your joy in Jesus,
**The 10 results originated from Desiring God’s website and were written by John Piper. The rest of this post was written by Pastor Brett Baggett