Ephesians 6:5-9 5 Bondservants, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ, 6 not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as bondservants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, 7 rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, 8 knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord,whether he is a bondservant or is free. 9 Masters, do the same to them, and stop your threatening, knowing that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and that there is no partiality with him.
In Ephesians 6:5-9, Paul exhorts Christian slaves to obey their masters, but does that mean the Bible condones slavery? To be sure, American slavery is was sinful. But in Paul’s day, fair practices could be found. The timely question is this: Does Jesus care about my job? Yes, He does. If you are in Christ, you have been saved by grace and sent into the world to do good works that reflect Jesus’ glory and greatness. Then and now, employees are to obey their employers, and employers are to care for their employees. When we work, whether we are an employee or an employer, we work ultimately for Jesus. Jesus is your Boss—He sees all, knows all, and rewards all.
1. Was there anything from Sunday’s Sermon or the Big Idea that was new to you or had an affect on you? Did you hear anything that raised more questions in your mind?
2. What stands out to you in Ephesians 6:5-9 and why? What remaining questions do you have about the passage?
3. Discuss ways that you have failed to see your job(s) as if you were working for Jesus and not for man. Try and be specific.
4. Jesus is your Boss- He sees all, knows all, and rewards all. How would the way you view your work (and do your work) change if you lived in this reality?
ROMANS 6:17-18 17 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, 18 and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.
COLOSSIANS 3:17 17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
- Sermon Mp3 (Listen)
- Sermon Mp3 (Download)
- Subscribe or stream sermons from iTunes
- Community Group Discussion 7.16-17.13 PDF
More Content from Ephesians