GALATIANS 1:1-10 Paul, an apostle—not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father,who raised him from the dead— 2 and all the brothers who are with me, To the churches of Galatia:
3 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, 4 who gave himself for our sins to deliver us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, 5 to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen. 6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.
10 For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.
The gospel is the good news of what Jesus has done on behalf of sinners in his life, death, and resurrection. Jesus’ life was lived to establish the righteousness that God requires, Jesus’ died on the cross to pay for sin and satisfy the wrath of God, and Jesus’ resurrection from death to eternal life was his vindication- the stamp of approval that he in fact secured eternal salvation for all those who would come to saving faith in him. Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in the work of Jesus alone. In Galatians chapter one, the Apostle Paul makes very clear that to try and add works to the gospel for salvation is to deny the very message of the gospel. Those who add to the gospel bring a curse upon themselves and are in fact abandoning their only hope for salvation, because salvation cannot be achieved by works. Though it is an offensive message to some- that there is nothing that man can do to save himself- Paul is able to proclaim this great truth with boldness and courage because he is serving God and not man.
1. Was there anything from Sunday’s Sermon or the Big Idea that was new to you or had an affect on you? Did you hear anything that raised more questions in your mind?
2. What stands out to you in Galatians 1:1-10 and why?
3. How does Paul summarize the gospel in Galatians 1:3-4?
4. In Galatians 1:8-9 Paul gives a strong word of condemnation to those who try and add works to the gospel for salvation. In what ways are people in our culture tempted to add works onto the gospel? Try and be specific.
5. Why would people try and add onto the free gift of the gospel?
ROMANS 16:25, 27 “Now to him who is able to strengthen you according to the gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ— to the only wise God be glory forevermore through Jesus Christ! Amen.”
- Sermon Mp3 (Listen)
- Sermon Mp3 (Download)
- Subscribe or stream sermons from iTunes
- Community Group Discussion 8.6-7.13 PDF