Ephesians 4:17-24 17 Now this I say and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds. 18 They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart. 19 They have become callous and have given themselves up to sensuality, greedy to practice every kind of impurity.20 But that is not the way you learned Christ!— 21 assuming that you have heard about him andwere taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus, 22 to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, 23 and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, 24 and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.
When you know who you are, then you know what to do. In Christ, you are new. You are no longer alienated from God and walking in the futility of a darkened mind. The old is gone; the new has come. Put off the old self and put on the new self. Knowing your new identity in Christ allows you to change how you think, how you act, and what you desire. Only when you are constantly looking to Jesus- focussing on what He has done and will continue to do for you- will you be able to genuinely walk in holiness and righteousness.
1. Was there anything from Sunday’s Sermon or the Big Idea that was new to you or had an affect on you? Did you hear anything that raised more questions in your mind?
2. What stands out to you in Ephesians 4:17-24 and why?
3. What sins do you need to confess and repent from in light of knowing that we are commanded to “no longer walk like the [world] walks… In the futility of their minds, a dark understanding, ignorance, a hard heart, callous, and given up to sensuality, greedy to practice every kind of impurity”?
4. Discuss the ways that religion, therapy, and spirituality differ from the gospel when it comes to how we can change.
5. What is the significance of Paul ending this set of Scripture with “put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness”? How does knowing that we are righteous and holy in Christ change the way that we live in the world?
When you know who you are, then you know what to do. In Christ you are completely new, holy and righteous. So live it. Joy to us, glory to Jesus! Amen.
- Sermon Mp3 (Listen)
- Sermon Mp3 (Download)
- Subscribe or stream sermons from iTunes
- Community Group Discussion 6.11-12.13 PDF
More Content from Ephesians