Mark 12:35-40 35 And as Jesus taught in the temple, he said, “How can the scribes say that the Christ is the son of David? 36 David himself, in the Holy Spirit, declared,
“‘The LORD said to my Lord,
“Sit at my right hand,
until I put your enemies under your feet.”’
37 David himself calls him Lord. So how is he his son?” And the great throng heard him gladly.
38 And in his teaching he said, “Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes and like greetings in the marketplaces 39 and have the best seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at feasts, 40 who devour widows’ houses and for a pretense make long prayers. They will receive the greater condemnation.”
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright © 2016 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.
1. Study through Mark 12:35-40 together. What stands out to you and why?
2. By his question in verse 35, is Jesus insinuating the Christ is not in any sense the son of David? If not, what exactly is he asking; how could you paraphrase it?
3. What do we learn about how Jesus viewed the Old Testament from the first part of verse 36: “David himself, in the Holy Spirit, declared…“?
4. Which Psalm is this that Jesus quotes in verse 36? What is the difference in the first and second use of the word “Lord” and what does it mean?
Here are six ways to be a dangerous person, according to Jesus:
1. Develop what you believe narrow-mindedly (vv. 35-37)
2. Like to impress people by your outer appearance (v. 38a)
3. Like praise and commendation from others (v. 38b)
4. Like to be seen as important or powerful (v. 39)
5. Like money more than people (v. 40a)
6. Like opportunities to show how good of a person you are (v. 40b)
5. Which of these 6 reasons most stand out to you and why? Which one seems to nail you maybe more than the others?
6. What does Jesus say the consequence for such a person is at the end of verse 40?
7. How does what Paul writes in Romans 8:1-4 the answer to the danger of our sin?
- Sermon audio mp3 (click to listen or right click and “save as” to download)
- Subscribe or Stream sermon videos from our YouTube
- SERMON NOTES six ways to be a dangerous person
- CG DISCUSSION six ways to be a dangerous person